Genes encoding chavicol/eugenol synthase from the creosote bush Larrea tridentata
Particular aspects provide novel methods for redirecting carbon allocation in plants or cell culture from lignification to inherently more useful and tractable materials, and to facilitate the generation of, e.g., biofuels from the remaining plant ro culture biomass. Particular aspects provided novel methods for converting monolignols into allyl/propenyl phenols, and for chavicol/eugenol formation or production. Additional aspects relate to the discovery of novel chavicol/eugenol synthases that convert p-coumaryl/coniferyl alcohol esters into chavicol/eugenol, and to novel compositions (e.g., novel proteins and nucleic acids encoding same), and novel methods using same for producing or forming chavicol/eugenol and other derivatives in cell culture and/or genetically modified plants, and for re-engineering the composition of plant biomass. Particular aspects provide novel methods for generation in culture or in planta of liquid/combustible allyl/propenyl phenols, and these phenolic products are utilized for (non-ethanol) biofuel/bioenergy purposes, while the remaining plant biomass facilitates the generation of other biofuels.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Washington State University (Pullman, WA) OAK
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2007 May 29
- Research Org:
- Washington State Univ., Pullman, WA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Biosynthesis of estragole and t-anethole in bitter fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill. var. vulgare) chemotypes. Changes in SAM:phenylpropene O-methyltransferase activities during development
journal, November 2002
- Gross, Michal; Friedman, Jacob; Dudai, Nativ
- Plant Science, Vol. 163, Issue 5, p. 1047-1053
A pinoresinol–lariciresinol reductase homologue from the creosote bush (Larrea tridentata) catalyzes the efficient in vitro conversion of p-coumaryl/coniferyl alcohol esters into the allylphenols chavicol/eugenol, but not the propenylphenols p-anol/isoeugenol
journal, September 2007
- Vassão, Daniel G.; Kim, Sung-Jin; Milhollan, Jessica K.
- Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Vol. 465, Issue 1, p. 209-218
(+)-Larreatricin hydroxylase, an enantio-specific polyphenol oxidase from the creosote bush (Larrea tridentata)
journal, September 2003
- Cho, M.-H.; Moinuddin, S. G. A.; Helms, G. L.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 100, Issue 19, p. 10641-10646
Dirigent phenoxy radical coupling advances and challenges
journal, August 2005
- Davin, Laurence B.; Lewis, Norman G.
- Current Opinion in Biotechnology, Vol. 16, Issue 4, p. 398-406
Eugenol and isoeugenol, characteristic aromatic constituents of spices, are biosynthesized via reduction of a coniferyl alcohol ester
journal, June 2006
- Koeduka, T.; Fridman, E.; Gang, D. R.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 103, Issue 26, p. 10128-10133
Plant genetic engineering to improve biomass characteristics for biofuels
journal, June 2006
- Sticklen, Mariam
- Current Opinion in Biotechnology, Vol. 17, Issue 3, p. 315-319
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: