DOE PAGES title logo U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Title: Catalytic conversion of biomass-derived ethanol to liquid hydrocarbon blend-stock: Effect of light gas recirculation

Abstract

Here, we describe a light gas recirculation (LGR) method to increase the liquid hydrocarbon yield with reduced aromatic content from catalytic conversion of ethanol to hydrocarbons. The previous liquid hydrocarbon yield is ~40% from one-pass ethanol conversion over V-ZSM-5 at 350 C and atmospheric pressure where the remaining ~60% yield is light gas hydrocarbons. In comparison, the liquid hydrocarbon yield increases to 80% when a simulated light gas hydrocarbon stream is co-fed at a rate of 0.053 mol g-1 h-1 with ethanol due to the conversion of most of the light olefins. The LGR also significantly improves the quality of the liquid hydrocarbon blend-stock by reducing aromatic content and overall benzene concentration. For 0.027 mol g-1 h-1 light gas mixture co-feeding, the average aromatic content in liquid hydrocarbons is 51.5% compared with 62.5% aromatic content in ethanol only experiment. Average benzene concentration decreases from 3.75% to 1.5% which is highly desirable since EPA limits benzene concentration in gasoline to 0.62%. As a result of low benzene concentration, the blend-wall for ethanol derived liquid hydrocarbons changes from ~18% to 43%. The remaining light paraffins and olefins can be further converted to valuable BTX products (94% BTX in the liquid) over Ga-ZSM-5more » at 500 C. Thus, the LGR is an effective approach to convert ethanol to liquid hydrocarbons with higher liquid yield and low aromatic content, especially low benzene concentration, which could be blended with gasoline in a much higher ratio than ethanol or ethanol derived hydrocarbon blend-stock.« less

Authors:
 [1];  [2];  [1];  [2]
  1. Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
  2. Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States); The Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States)
Publication Date:
Research Org.:
Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
Sponsoring Org.:
USDOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE)
OSTI Identifier:
1333668
Grant/Contract Number:  
AC05-00OR22725
Resource Type:
Accepted Manuscript
Journal Name:
Energy and Fuels
Additional Journal Information:
Journal Volume: 1; Journal Issue: 1; Journal ID: ISSN 0887-0624
Publisher:
American Chemical Society (ACS)
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
09 BIOMASS FUELS; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY

Citation Formats

Li, Zhenglong, Lepore, Andrew W., Davison, Brian H., and Narula, Chaitanya K. Catalytic conversion of biomass-derived ethanol to liquid hydrocarbon blend-stock: Effect of light gas recirculation. United States: N. p., 2016. Web. doi:10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b02562.
Li, Zhenglong, Lepore, Andrew W., Davison, Brian H., & Narula, Chaitanya K. Catalytic conversion of biomass-derived ethanol to liquid hydrocarbon blend-stock: Effect of light gas recirculation. United States. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b02562
Li, Zhenglong, Lepore, Andrew W., Davison, Brian H., and Narula, Chaitanya K. Fri . "Catalytic conversion of biomass-derived ethanol to liquid hydrocarbon blend-stock: Effect of light gas recirculation". United States. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b02562. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1333668.
@article{osti_1333668,
title = {Catalytic conversion of biomass-derived ethanol to liquid hydrocarbon blend-stock: Effect of light gas recirculation},
author = {Li, Zhenglong and Lepore, Andrew W. and Davison, Brian H. and Narula, Chaitanya K.},
abstractNote = {Here, we describe a light gas recirculation (LGR) method to increase the liquid hydrocarbon yield with reduced aromatic content from catalytic conversion of ethanol to hydrocarbons. The previous liquid hydrocarbon yield is ~40% from one-pass ethanol conversion over V-ZSM-5 at 350 C and atmospheric pressure where the remaining ~60% yield is light gas hydrocarbons. In comparison, the liquid hydrocarbon yield increases to 80% when a simulated light gas hydrocarbon stream is co-fed at a rate of 0.053 mol g-1 h-1 with ethanol due to the conversion of most of the light olefins. The LGR also significantly improves the quality of the liquid hydrocarbon blend-stock by reducing aromatic content and overall benzene concentration. For 0.027 mol g-1 h-1 light gas mixture co-feeding, the average aromatic content in liquid hydrocarbons is 51.5% compared with 62.5% aromatic content in ethanol only experiment. Average benzene concentration decreases from 3.75% to 1.5% which is highly desirable since EPA limits benzene concentration in gasoline to 0.62%. As a result of low benzene concentration, the blend-wall for ethanol derived liquid hydrocarbons changes from ~18% to 43%. The remaining light paraffins and olefins can be further converted to valuable BTX products (94% BTX in the liquid) over Ga-ZSM-5 at 500 C. Thus, the LGR is an effective approach to convert ethanol to liquid hydrocarbons with higher liquid yield and low aromatic content, especially low benzene concentration, which could be blended with gasoline in a much higher ratio than ethanol or ethanol derived hydrocarbon blend-stock.},
doi = {10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b02562},
journal = {Energy and Fuels},
number = 1,
volume = 1,
place = {United States},
year = {2016},
month = {1}
}

Works referenced in this record:

Heterobimetallic Zeolite, InV-ZSM-5, Enables Efficient Conversion of Biomass Derived Ethanol to Renewable Hydrocarbons
journal, November 2015

  • Narula, Chaitanya K.; Li, Zhenglong; Casbeer, Erik M.
  • Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, Issue 1
  • DOI: 10.1038/srep16039

Conversion of ethanol to hydrocarbons on hierarchical HZSM-5 zeolites
journal, December 2014


Ethanol transformation over HFAU, HBEA and HMFI zeolites presenting similar Brønsted acidity
journal, October 2009


Ethylene from ethanol over zeolite catalysts
journal, January 1987


Study of operating variables in the transformation of aqueous ethanol into hydrocarbons on an HZSM-5 zeolite: Transformation of aqueous ethanol into hydrocarbons
journal, January 2002

  • Aguayo, Andres T.; Gayubo, Ana G.; Tarrío, Ana M.
  • Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology, Vol. 77, Issue 2
  • DOI: 10.1002/jctb.540

Recreation of Brønsted acid sites in phosphorus-modified HZSM-5(Ga) by modification with various metal cations
journal, July 2014


Ethanol to gasoline process: effect of variables, mechanism, and kinetics
journal, April 1985

  • Costa, Enrique; Uguina, Angeles; Aguado, Jose
  • Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Process Design and Development, Vol. 24, Issue 2
  • DOI: 10.1021/i200029a003

Influence of Zn- and Ga-doping on the conversion of ethanol to hydrocarbons over ZSM-5
journal, January 1992


Recent advances in the industrial alkylation of aromatics: new catalysts and new processes
journal, April 2002


Alkylation of Benzene with Short-Chain Olefins over MCM-22 Zeolite: Catalytic Behaviour and Kinetic Mechanism
journal, May 2000

  • Corma, A.; Martı́nez-Soria, V.; Schnoeveld, E.
  • Journal of Catalysis, Vol. 192, Issue 1
  • DOI: 10.1006/jcat.2000.2849

Catalytic Performance of Zeolite-Supported Vanadia in the Aerobic Oxidation of 5-hydroxymethylfurfural to 2,5-diformylfuran
journal, November 2012

  • Sádaba, Irantzu; Gorbanev, Yury Y.; Kegnaes, Søren
  • ChemCatChem, Vol. 5, Issue 1
  • DOI: 10.1002/cctc.201200482

Kinetic modeling of ethene and propene aromatization over HZSM-5 and GaHZSM-5
journal, February 1994

  • Lukyanov, Dmitri B.; Gnep, N. Suor; Guisnet, Michel R.
  • Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 33, Issue 2
  • DOI: 10.1021/ie00026a008

On reaction pathways in the conversion of methanol to hydrocarbons on HZSM-5
journal, August 2014


Alkylation of Benzene or Toluene with MeOH or C2H4 over ZSM-5 or .beta. Zeolite: Effect of the Zeolite Pore Openings and of the Hydrocarbons Involved on the Mechanism of Alkylation
journal, May 1995

  • Smirniotis, Panagiotis G.; Ruckenstein, Eli
  • Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 34, Issue 5
  • DOI: 10.1021/ie00044a002

Catalytic Conversion of Propane to Aromatics: Effects of Adding Ga and/or Pt to HZSM-5
journal, October 1994

  • Kwak, B. S.; Sachtler, W. M. H.; Haag, W. O.
  • Journal of Catalysis, Vol. 149, Issue 2
  • DOI: 10.1006/jcat.1994.1313

Works referencing / citing this record:

Technoeconomic and life-cycle analysis of single-step catalytic conversion of wet ethanol into fungible fuel blendstocks
journal, November 2019

  • Hannon, John R.; Lynd, Lee R.; Andrade, Onofre
  • Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 117, Issue 23
  • DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1821684116