OSTI's Vision, Mission, Goals
The Office of Scientific and Technical Information will fulfill a critical U.S. Department of Energy mission to ensure long-term preservation of and access to the results of DOE research and development (R&D) investments. Across the full spectrum of DOE R&D programs, OSTI strives to provide accountability for all DOE scientific and technical information (STI) in its many formsthrough electronic, efficient, and user-friendly tools and technology.
The mission of the Office of Scientific and Technical Information is to advance science and sustain technological creativity by making R&D findings available and useful to Department of Energy researchers and the public.
- Accountability for DOE R&D Results Collection of Scientific and Technical Information
- Transform and modernize STI ingest processes and systems.
- Target increased comprehensiveness for all forms of STI.
- Build a comprehensive collection of DOE classified/UCNI, CUI R&D results.
- Permanently Preserve DOEs Scientific Record
- Accelerate preservation of legacy scientific collection and strategically manage and preserve born digital STI.
- Expand intake and preservation services for new open science research outputs (data, source code, etc.).
- Enhance infrastructure for classified, UCNI, and CUI research to deliver a reliable and regulatory-compliant preservation and delivery network.
- Broad Discovery, Use, and Visibility of DOE R&D Results
- Increase role in open science through persistent identifier services.
- Provide and develop leading-edge discovery tools.
- Provide quality collection curation.
- Provide secure, need-to-know-based search and retrieval for classified and UCNI STI.
- Provide Core Technologies, Expertise, and Specialized Tools and Services to Maximize the Value and Impact of DOEs R&D and Information Capabilities
- Provide a leading-edge technology infrastructure to enable responsive and secure collection, preservation, and dissemination of DOEs R&D results.
- Bolster product development processes.
- More broadly deploy artificial intelligence.
- Support the Office of Science mission.
- Provide services and expertise to DOE, federal, and international partners.