About this Site
How to Navigate this Site
Note on Sources
Nuclear Energy and the Public's Right to Know
Sources and Notes
A number of government publications
relating to the Manhattan Project are available either as web pages or as
- Department of Energy Publications
- Los Alamos National Laboratory Publications
- Bainbridge, Trinity
- Fakley, "The British Mission"
- Hawkins, MDH: Project Y, Vol. 1
- Los Alamos: Beginning of an Era, 1943-1945
- Malik, Yields of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- "Oppenheimer Years"
- Serber, Los Alamos Primer
- Truslow, MDH: Project Y, Vol. 2
- Truslow, MDH: Nonscientific Aspects
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Publications
- Other Documents and Publications
Department of Energy (DOE) Publications
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Publications
- Bainbridge, Kenneth T., et al. Trinity
(LA-6300-H). Los Alamos, NM: Manhattan Engineer District, ca.
1945; first printed by Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory in classified
form as LA-1012; and reprinted in unclassified form (with an added
photographic appendix) as LA-6300-H in May 1976. 82 pp. (pdf 4.3 MB)
- This report was written primarily by Kenneth T.
Bainbridge, test director for Trinity.
Other contributors include Richard C. Tolman, Stafford C. Warren, Louis
H. Hempelmann, W. F. Schaffer, J. L. Magee, Robert R. Wilson, John H.
Manley, and J. E. Mack.
- Los Alamos: Beginning of an Era, 1943-1945. Los Alamos, NM: Public Relations Office, Los Alamos
Scientific Laboratory, n.d. (ca. 1967-1971). 52 (of 65) pp.
- Most of this publication is available (courtesy LANL) via five .pdf files:
- File #1:
"Starting Point" and "The Place," 1-10 (1.5 MB)
- File #2:
"Living at Los Alamos," 11-18 (3.1 MB)
- File #3:
"Designing the Bomb" and "Preparing the
Materials," 19-28 (1.7 MB)
- File #4:
"Trinity," "The Plans," and "Trial Run,"
29-40 (2.0 MB)
- File #5:
"Trial Run, May 7, 1945" and "Countdown," 41-52
- "The New World," "They Built the
Bomb," and "After Trinity," 53-65, are not available in
- A history of the laboratory at Los Alamos,
1943-1945, focusing especially on the Trinity test.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) Publications
Other Documents and Publications
Letter to Roosevelt
- August 2, 1939, letter from Albert Einstein (written with
the help of Leo Szilard) to President Franklin Roosevelt
warning Roosevelt of the potential danger posed by nuclear energy.
- Order to Drop the Atomic Bomb
- July 25, 1945, order from Acting Army Chief of Staff
Thomas Handy to Commanding General Carl Spaatz, Army Strategic Air
Forces, to attack Japanese cities with atomic bombs.
- Truman's Note regarding Potsdam
- Note written by Truman on the back of a photograph
of the Potsdam Conference, in which Truman brags (incorrectly) that
Stalin did not know about the atomic bomb.
Home | History
Office | OpenNet | DOE | Privacy and Security Notices
About this Site |
How to Navigate this Site |
Note on Sources |
Site Map |