HTO washout model: on the relationship between exchange rate and washout coefficient
Washout coefficient Λ is widely used as a parameter in washout models. These models describes overall HTO washout with rain by a first-order kinetic equation, while washout coefficient Λ depends on the type of rain event and rain intensity and empirical parameters a, b. The washout coefficient is a macroscopic parameter and we have considered in this paper its relationship with a microscopic rate K of HTO isotopic exchange in atmospheric humidity and drops of rainwater. We have shown that the empirical parameters a, b can be represented through the rain event characteristics using the relationships of molecular impact rate, rain intensity and specific rain water content while washout coefficient Λ can be represented through the exchange rate K, rain intensity, raindrop diameter and terminal raindrop velocity.
- Sarov Laboratories, Sarov (Russian Federation)
- Russian Federal Nuclear Center - VNIIEF, Sarov (Russian Federation)
- Life and Environmental Physics Department, 'Horia Hulubei' Institute of Physics and Nuclear Engineering, Bucharest-Magurele (Romania)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Resource Type:
- Journal Article
- Resource Relation:
- Journal Name: Fusion Science and Technology; Journal Volume: 67; Journal Issue: 2; Conference: TRITIUM 2013: 10. International Conference on Tritium Science and Technology, Nice Acropolis (France), 21-25 Oct 2013; Other Information: Country of input: France; 17 refs.
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES; 07 ISOTOPES AND RADIATION SOURCES; HUMIDITY; ISOTOPIC EXCHANGE; KINETIC EQUATIONS; RAIN; RAIN WATER; SIMULATION; TRITIUM OXIDES; WASHOUT