Sphere-Shaped Hierarchical Cathode with Enhanced Growth of Nanocrystal Planes for High-Rate and Cycling-Stable Li-Ion Batteries
High-energy and high-power Li-ion batteries have been intensively pursued as power sources in electronic vehicles and renewable energy storage systems in smart grids. With this purpose, developing high-performance cathode materials is urgently needed. Here we report an easy and versatile strategy to fabricate high-rate and cycling-stable hierarchical sphered cathode Li1.2Ni0.13Mn0.54Co0.13O2, by using an ionic interfusion method. The sphere-shaped hierarchical cathode is assembled with primary nanoplates with enhanced growth of nanocrystal planes in favor of Li+ intercalation/deintercalation, such as (010), (100), and (110) planes. This material with such unique structural features exhibits outstanding rate capability, cyclability, and high discharge capacities, achieving around 70% (175 mAhg–1) of the capacity at 0.1 C rate within about 2.1 min of ultrafast charging. Such cathode is feasible to construct high-energy and high-power Li-ion batteries.
- Beijing Inst. of Technology (China). Key Lab. of Environmental Science and Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering and the Environment
- Beijing Inst. of Technology (China). Key Lab. of Environmental Science and Engineering, School of Chemical Engineering and the Environment; Beijing Higher Institution Engineering Research Center of Power Battery and Chemical Energy Materials (China)
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Chemistry Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1530-6984; R&D Project: MA453MAEA; VT1201000
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC02-98CH10886; 21443013; 2013AA050903; 2012039032; 20131039031
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Nano Letters
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 15; Journal Issue: 1; Journal ID: ISSN 1530-6984
- American Chemical Society
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). National Synchrotron Light Source
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 25 ENERGY STORAGE national synchrotron light source
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.