Optics measurement and correction during beam acceleration in the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
To minimize operational complexities, setup of collisions in high energy circular colliders typically involves acceleration with near constant β-functions followed by application of strong focusing quadrupoles at the interaction points (IPs) for the final beta-squeeze. At the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) beam acceleration and optics squeeze are performed simultaneously. In the past, beam optics correction at RHIC has taken place at injection and at final energy with some interpolation of corrections into the acceleration cycle. Recent measurements of the beam optics during acceleration and squeeze have evidenced significant beta-beats which if corrected could minimize undesirable emittance dilutions and maximize the spin polarization of polarized proton beams by avoidance of higher-order multipole fields sampled by particles within the bunch. In this report the methodology now operational at RHIC for beam optics corrections during acceleration with simultaneous beta-squeeze will be presented together with measurements which conclusively demonstrate the superior beam control. As a valuable by-product, the corrections have minimized the beta-beat at the profile monitors so reducing the dominant error in and providing more precise measurements of the evolution of the beam emittances during acceleration.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Collider-Accelerator Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- BNL--106065-2014-IR; BNL--C-A/AP/528
R&D Project: KBCH139; 18035; KB0202011; TRN: US1500122
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Nuclear Physics (NP) (SC-26)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; PROTON BEAMS; BROOKHAVEN RHIC; ACCELERATION; CORRECTIONS; BEAM DYNAMICS; SPIN ORIENTATION; CONTROL; BEAM EMITTANCE; FOCUSING; INTERACTIONS; POLARIZED BEAMS Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.