OSTI's Vision, Mission, and Goals
As detailed in the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Scientific and Technical Information 2015-2019 Strategic Plan, following are OSTI’s vision, mission, and goals:
The Office of Scientific and Technical Information will fulfill a critical U.S. Department of Energy mission to ensure long-term preservation of and access to the results of DOE research and development (R&D) investments. Across the full spectrum of DOE R&D programs, OSTI will provide accountability for all DOE scientific and technical information—in its many forms—through electronic, efficient, and user-friendly tools and technology.
The mission of the Office of Scientific and Technical Information is to advance science and sustain technological creativity by making R&D findings available and useful to Department of Energy researchers and the public.
- 1. Accountability for the collection and acquisition of DOE unclassified R&D results
- implement the acquisition aspects of the DOE Public Access Plan for scholarly publications;
- target comprehensive electronic submission of technical reports and other textual forms of scientific and technical information (STI);
- increase the volume of searchable multimedia forms of STI; and
- increase acquisition, registration and usability of DOE R&D datasets.
- 2. Long Term Preservation of DOE R&D Results
- increase the digitization of legacy holdings through partnership and collaboration;
- support preservation through migration and interoperability;
- preserve DOE STI hosted in a distributed environment through dark archiving; and
- ensure the preservation of unclassified DOE R&D results through validated testing of disaster recovery and contingency plan elements.
- 3. Collection, Protection, Preservation, and Secure Access to Classified R&D Results, Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information (UCNI), and Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI)
- achieve comprehensive electronic submission of classified and UCNI STI;
- deploy secure, need-to-know-based search and retrieval for classified and UCNI STI;
- ensure preservation of classified R&D information and UCNI through validated testing of disaster recovery and contingency plan elements;
- develop specialized information tools and services to support the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and DOE;
- review, catalog, mark, and disseminate classified and UCNI STI according to DOE and national requirements; and
- life-cycle management of CUI.
- 4. Maximum Use of and Visibility for DOE R&D Results
- ensure high visibility and use of the DOE public access model, DOE PAGESBeta;
- benchmark National Library of EnergyBeta and constituent products as “best in class” from government, academia, and industry;
- leverage partnerships to promote and support DOE R&D priorities; and
- establish communications as a driver of visibility.
- 5. Strong Foundations, Partnerships, and Agility
- provide leadership and organizational structure that clearly defines vision and performance expectations and facilitates efficient operations and camaraderie;
- ensure a technology and cyber infrastructure that serves both OSTI’s programmatic requirements and internal business needs;
- offer a physical infrastructure that provides a safe, secure, efficient, and healthy environment for OSTI’s workforce and information assets; and
- be committed to flexibility as opportunities for new collaborations and business lines emerge.