Precursor polymer compositions comprising polybenzimidazole
Stable, high performance polymer compositions including polybenzimidazole (PBI) and a melamine-formaldehyde polymer, such as methylated, poly(melamine-co-formaldehyde), for forming structures such as films, fibers and bulky structures. The polymer compositions may be formed by combining polybenzimidazole with the melamine-formaldehyde polymer to form a precursor. The polybenzimidazole may be reacted and/or intertwined with the melamine-formaldehyde polymer to form the polymer composition. For example, a stable, free-standing film having a thickness of, for example, between about 5 .mu.m and about 30 .mu.m may be formed from the polymer composition. Such films may be used as gas separation membranes and may be submerged into water for extended periods without crazing and cracking. The polymer composition may also be used as a coating on substrates, such as metal and ceramics, or may be used for spinning fibers. Precursors for forming such polymer compositions are also disclosed.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Battelle Energy Alliance, LLC (Idaho Falls, ID) IDO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Aug 30
- Research Org:
- Idaho National Lab. (INL), Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Polybenzimidazole resin-based new chelating agents. Ferric ion selectivity of resins with immobilized oligoamines
journal, December 1988
- Chanda, M.; O'Driscoll, K. F.; Rempel, G. L.
- Reactive Polymers, Ion Exchangers, Sorbents, Vol. 9, Issue 3, p. 277-284
Polybenzimidazole resin-based new chelating agents. Uranyl and ferric ion selectivity of resins with anchored dimethylglyoxime
journal, January 1989
- Chanda, M.; Rempel, G. L.
- Reactive Polymers, Vol. 11, p. 165-176
Substituted aliphatic polybenzimidazoles as membrane separator materials
journal, January 1969
- Trischler, Floyd D.; Levine, Harold H.
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 13, Issue 1, p. 101-106
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: