|Announcement Notice 241.1 via Batch Upload
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BATCH UPLOAD
DOE Order 241.1B, Scientific and Technical Information Management, requires that the results of DOE research be made available by announcing and/or providing various types of STI in acceptable electronic formats to the DOE Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI). The Announcement Notice (AN) 241.1 provides the bibliographic information (metadata) required to appropriately identify, process, and/or announce and disseminate the results of work funded by DOE or performed in DOE facilities.
Who uses this Notice
DOE Programs and DOE Major Site/Facility Management Contractors, multiprogram laboratories, single program laboratories, and other DOE facilities should submit the announcement notice for each STI Product to OSTI for processing in accordance with the requirements of DOE Order 241.1B, Scientific and Technical Information Management. The STI Product can be provided via a URL to the site-posted copy or uploaded to OSTI; audiovisual STI Products can be provided via URL or FTP. Reporting that may be required under the terms of the contract but which is not appropriate for transmittal to OSTI includes reporting for contract proposals, funding status, routine construction or inventory, and similar products.
AN 241.1 Submission Options
Batch Upload allows you to upload multiple 241.1 records in one file, while the Announcement Notice 241.1 interface allows submittal of only record at a time. Both 241.1 submission methods are secure and handle either publicly available (Unlimited) or controlled unclassified STI (CUI or Limited Access).
Harvesting and the AN 241.1 Web Service are additional options by which STI metadata and products can be submitted to OSTI. They are automated protocols and logging on to the E-Link website is not necessary. Information regarding these methods is available on the Scientific and Technical Information Program (STIP) website, www.osti.gov/stip/.
For general information or assistance with AN 241.1 information, contact OSTI at (865) 576-1223 or at the following email address: email@example.com.
From DTD to Schema
Batch Upload used to run against a Document Type Definition (DTD) which meant that, not only did the correct XML tags have to be used, but they also had to be used in the correct order. Batch Upload no longer requires the tags to be in absolute, correct order, so the more correct terminology, "schema" is now being used to refer to the tags and requirements of an XML metadata file and record.
Using the correct XML tags, remembering to use the open and close symbols with the XML tags, using XML compliant characters for things such as quotation marks...all of these do continue to be necessary. Following business rules that specify additional fields and values required when certain metadata elements are used also continue to be necessary.
The old DTD format looked like this. The same XML tags, expected values, and business rules are now expressed in a more readable format for users to follow and understand. They are also divided into two tables: required metadata and optional metadata. You may wish to view these sample XML records or check metadata field lengths allowed.
If you have questions as you prepare your XML metadata file for Batch Upload, please contact Jannean Elliott at 865.576.6784 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps to Upload the Metadata File and the Full Text Products
The Metadata File
- Ensure the metadata records do not contain protected Personally Identifiable Information (PII) before you upload the file.
- Make sure the file has the correct header and footer.
- Check that all records are NEW or, if any records are being updated, make sure they include the OSTI ID of the previously submitted record that you are editing/updating.
- If you have records that failed to submit earlier due to errors, make sure they have been corrected. They do not have OSTI IDs, of course, since they have not been in E-Link previously. They should continue to have a record status of "new". Also, ensure that you do not accidentally resubmit the entire file these corrected records were in. That will cause the other records that successfully loaded previously to duplicate themselves, but with different OSTI IDs.
- Select your site input code.
- Browse to find the XML file that has been prepared to upload. Or, type the entire address path of the file into the space provided.
- Wait while your file uploads. Do not touch any keys while the upload is in progress.
- When the upload is finished, you will automatically be taken to the next screen that shows the results of your metadata upload.
Uploading/Attaching Full Text
- Ensure that any full text products you intend to upload do not contain protected Personally Identifiable Information. Do this BEFORE you upload/attach the full text.
- Note which records have error messages so that you can correct those later and submit them.
- Select the green button that says "Upload Full-Text Files for Processed Records". It should appear at the bottom of the list of metadata records.
- You will again see your list of metadata records, but this time each one of them will have a green "Attach" button under the Full Text column on the page.
- Select "Attach" for the first one and Browse to locate the full text file you wish to upload/attach. When you have completed the upload/attach, you will automatically be taken back to the previous page where the metadata records are listed. The record to which you just attached a full text product should now say "Replace" under the Full Text column. You should also have a small "View" link that allows you to instantly check and make sure you actually attached the correct product to the correct record.
- When you have attached/uploaded the full text products for each record that requires it, select the green button reading "Submit All Records to OSTI". You will then see a message under each listing that indicates success or a validation error.
- When the records with their full text display a success message, select the green "Submit All Records to OSTI". This time, the status column will change from "Pending Release" to "Submitted to OSTI". You are now finished and may log out of E-Link or navigate to another part of the E-Link website.
Note: Some records will not require a full text as long as you have included a site URL in the metadata. However, all records with Limited Access MUST have the full text attached/uploaded.