Results of Hazardous and Mixed Waste Excavation from the Chemical Waste Landfill
This paper describes the results of the excavation of a 1.9-acre hazardous and mixed waste landfill operated for 23 years at Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico. Excavation of the landfill was completed in 2 1/2 years without a single serious accident or injury. Approximately 50,000 cubic yards of soil contaminated with volatile and semi-volatile organics, metals, polychlorinated biphenyl compounds, and radioactive constituents was removed. In addition, over 400 cubic yards of buried debris was removed, including bulk debris, unknown chemicals, compressed gas cylinders, thermal and chemical batteries, explosive and ordnance debris, pyrophoric materials and biohazardous waste. Removal of these wastes included negotiation of multiple regulations and guidances encompassed in the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), and risk assessment methodology. RCRA concepts that were addressed include the area of contamination, permit modification, emergency treatment provision, and listed waste designation. These regulatory decisions enabled the project to overcome logistical and programmatic needs such as increased operational area, the ability to implement process improvements while maintaining a record of decisions and approvals.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Resource Type:
- Resource Relation:
- Conference: Waste Management 2002 Symposium, Tucson, AZ (US), 02/24/2002--02/28/2002; Other Information: PBD: 27 Feb 2002
- WM Symposia, Inc., Tucson, Arizona
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States); URS Corporation One Park Square, 6501 Americas Parkway NE, Suite 900, Albuquerque, NM; Gram, Inc. 8500 Menaul Blvd. NE, Suite B-335, Albuquerque, NM (US)
- Sponsoring Org:
- US Department of Energy (US)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 12 MANAGEMENT OF RADIOACTIVE WASTES, AND NON-RADIOACTIVE WASTES FROM NUCLEAR FACILITIES; 29 ENERGY PLANNING, POLICY AND ECONOMY; 32 ENERGY CONSERVATION, CONSUMPTION, AND UTILIZATION; CHEMICAL WASTES; CONTAMINATION; EXCAVATION; GAS CYLINDERS; MILITARY EQUIPMENT; NEW MEXICO; POLYCHLORINATED BIPHENYLS; RESOURCE CONSERVATION; RISK ASSESSMENT; SANDIA NATIONAL LABORATORIES; SANITARY LANDFILLS; TOXIC SUBSTANCES CONTROL ACTS; WASTE MANAGEMENT; WASTES
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.