Ultrarelativistic cascades and strangeness production
A two phase cascade, LUCIFER II, developed for the treatment of ultra high energy Ion-Ion collisions is applied to the production of strangeness at SPS energies. This simulation is able to simultaneously describe both hard processes such as Drell-Yan and slower, soft processes such as the production of light mesons by separating the dynamics into two steps, a fast cascade involving only the nucleons in the original colliding relativistic ions followed, after an appropriate delay, by a normal multiscattering of the resulting excited baryons and mesons produced virtually in the first step. No energy loss can take place in the short time interval over which the first cascade takes place. The chief result is a reconciliation of the important Drell-Yan measurements with the apparent success of standard cascades to describe the nucleon stopping and meson production in heavy ion experiments at the CERN SPS.
- State Univ. of New York, Stony Brook, NY (United States). Physics Dept.
- Brookhaven National Lab., Upton, NY (United States). Physics Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- BNL--65248; CONF-9710193--
ON: DE98004470; BR: KB03; TRN: 98:011092
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Resource Relation:
- Conference: 6. international conference on hypernuclear and strange particle physics, Upton, NY (United States), 13-18 Oct 1997; Other Information: PBD: Feb 1998
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Lab., Upton, NY (United States);State Univ. of New York, Physics Dept., Stony Brook, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Energy Research, Washington, DC (United States)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 66 PHYSICS; STRANGENESS; DRELL MODEL; PARTICLE PRODUCTION; RELATIVISTIC RANGE; HEAVY ION REACTIONS; CERN SPS SYNCHROTRON; QUARK MATTER; HADRON-HADRON INTERACTIONS; J PSI-3097 MESONS; COMPUTERIZED SIMULATION
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.