skip to main content

Title: Tech Area II: A history

This report documents the history of the major buildings in Sandia National Laboratories` Technical Area II. It was prepared in support of the Department of Energy`s compliance with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. Technical Area II was designed and constructed in 1948 specifically for the final assembly of the non-nuclear components of nuclear weapons, and was the primary site conducting such assembly until 1952. Both the architecture and location of the oldest buildings in the area reflect their original purpose. Assembly activities continued in Area II from 1952 to 1957, but the major responsibility for this work shifted to other sites in the Atomic Energy Commission`s integrated contractor complex. Gradually, additional buildings were constructed and the original buildings were modified. After 1960, the Area`s primary purpose was the research and testing of high-explosive components for nuclear weapons. In 1994, Sandia constructed new facilities for work on high-explosive components outside of the original Area II diamond-shaped parcel. Most of the buildings in the area are vacant and Sandia has no plans to use them. They are proposed for decontamination and demolition as funding becomes available.
Authors:
 [1]
  1. Ktech Corp., Albuquerque, NM (United States)
Publication Date:
OSTI Identifier:
656773
Report Number(s):
SAND--98-1617
ON: DE98006189; TRN: AHC29817%%332
DOE Contract Number:
AC04-94AL85000
Resource Type:
Technical Report
Resource Relation:
Other Information: PBD: Jul 1998
Research Org:
Sandia National Lab., Albuquerque, NM (United States);Ktech Corp., Albuquerque, NM (United States)
Sponsoring Org:
USDOE Assistant Secretary for Human Resources and Administration, Washington, DC (United States)
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
45 MILITARY TECHNOLOGY, WEAPONRY, AND NATIONAL DEFENSE; HISTORICAL ASPECTS; BUILDINGS; SANDIA NATIONAL LABORATORIES; NUCLEAR WEAPONS; CHEMICAL EXPLOSIVES