Progress in MELCOR development and assessment
MELCOR models the progression of severe accidents in light water reactor nuclear power plants. Recent efforts in MELCOR development to incorporate CORCON-Mod3 models for core-concrete interactions, new models for advanced reactors, and improvements to several other existing models have resulted in release of MELCOR 1.8.3. In addition, continuing efforts to expand the code assessment database have filled in many of the gaps in phenomenological coverage. Efforts are now under way to develop models for chemical interactions of fission products with structural surfaces and for reactions of iodine in the presence of water, and work is also in progress to improve models for the scrubbing of fission products by water pools, the chemical reactions of boron carbide with steam, and the coupling of flow blockages with the hydrodynamics. Several code assessment analyses are in progress, and more are planned.
- Sandia National Labs., Albuquerque, NM (United States). Modeling and Analysis Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- SAND--95-0561C; CONF-941074--2
ON: DE95009590; TRN: 95:010987
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Resource Relation:
- Conference: 21. water reactor safety information meeting, Washington, DC (United States), 25-27 Oct 1994; Other Information: PBD: 
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Labs., Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE, Washington, DC (United States);Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC (United States)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 22 NUCLEAR REACTOR TECHNOLOGY; 21 NUCLEAR POWER REACTORS AND ASSOCIATED PLANTS; 99 MATHEMATICS, COMPUTERS, INFORMATION SCIENCE, MANAGEMENT, LAW, MISCELLANEOUS; WATER COOLED REACTORS; REACTOR ACCIDENTS; M CODES; MODIFICATIONS; COMPUTERIZED SIMULATION; C CODES; REACTOR CORES; CHEMICAL REACTIONS; FISSION PRODUCTS; IODINE; BORON CARBIDES; WATER TREATMENT; NUCLEAR FUELS; CONTAINMENT SPRAY SYSTEMS; LOSS OF COOLANT; S CODES
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.