Separation of actinides from lanthanides utilizing molten salt electrorefining
TRUMP-S (TRansUranic Management through Pyropartitioning Separation) is a pyrochemical process being developed to separate actinides form fission products in nuclear waste. A key process step involving molten salt electrorefining to separate actinides from lanthanides has been studied on a laboratory scale. Electrorefining of U, Np, Pu, Am, and lanthanide mixtures from molten cadmium at 450 C to a solid cathode utilizing a molten chloride electrolyte resulted in > 99% removal of actinides from the molten cadmium and salt phases. Removal of the last few percent of actinides is accompanied by lowered cathodic current efficiency and some lanthanide codeposition. Actinide/lanthanide separation ratios on the cathode are ordered U > Np > Pu > Am and are consistent with predictions based on equilibrium potentials.
- Rockwell International, Canoga Park, CA (United States). Rocketdyne Div.
- Univ. of Missouri, Columbia, MO (United States). Research Reactor Facility
- Central Research Inst. of Electric Power Industry, Tokyo (Japan). Komae Research Lab.
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd., Tokyo (Japan). Nuclear Systems Div.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
ISBN 0-87339-312-0; TRN: 96:024130
- Resource Type:
- Resource Relation:
- Conference: Annual meeting and exhibition of the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), Anaheim, CA (United States), 4-8 Feb 1996; Other Information: PBD: 1996; Related Information: Is Part Of Light metals 1996; Hale, W. [ed.] [Anglesey Aluminum Metal Ltd., North Wales (United Kingdom)]; PB: 1304 p.
- Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, Warrendale, PA (United States)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 05 NUCLEAR FUELS; URANIUM; ELECTROREFINING; NEPTUNIUM; PLUTONIUM; AMERICIUM; RADIOACTIVE WASTES; RADIOACTIVE WASTE PROCESSING; BENCH-SCALE EXPERIMENTS; RARE EARTHS; CHLORIDES; LITHIUM CHLORIDES; POTASSIUM CHLORIDES; CADMIUM CHLORIDES; ELECTROCHEMICAL CELLS; MOLTEN SALTS; ANODES; CADMIUM; LIQUID METALS; DEPOSITION; CATHODES; CHEMICAL ANALYSIS; EXPERIMENTAL DATA