skip to main content

Title: Photodissociation dynamics of CH{sub 3}C(O)SH in argon matrix: A QM/MM nonadiabatic dynamics simulation

In this work, we have first employed the combined quantum mechanics/molecular mechanics (QM/MM) method to study the photodissociation mechanism of thioacetic acid CH{sub 3}C(O)SH in the S{sub 1}, T{sub 1}, and S{sub 0} states in argon matrix. CH{sub 3}C(O)SH is treated quantum mechanically using the complete active space self-consistent field and complete active space second-order perturbation theory methods; argon matrix is described classically using Lennard-Jones potentials. We find that the C-S bond fission is predominant due to its small barriers of ca. 3.0 and 1.0 kcal/mol in the S{sub 1} and T{sub 1} states. It completely suppresses the nearby C—C bond fission. After the bond fission, the S{sub 1} radical pair of CH{sub 3}CO and SH can decay to the S{sub 0} and T{sub 1} states via internal conversion and intersystem crossing, respectively. In the S{sub 0} state, the radical pair can either recombine to form CH{sub 3}C(O)SH or proceed to form molecular products of CH{sub 2}CO and H{sub 2}S. We have further employed our recently developed QM/MM generalized trajectory-based surface-hopping method to simulate the photodissociation dynamics of CH{sub 3}C(O)SH. In 1 ps dynamics simulation, 56% trajectories stay at the Franck-Condon region; the S{sub 1} C—S bond fission takes placemore » in the remaining 44% trajectories. Among all nonadiabatic transitions, the S{sub 1} → S{sub 0} internal conversion is major (55%) but the S{sub 1} → T{sub 1} intersystem crossing is still comparable and cannot be ignored, which accounts for 28%. Finally, we have found a radical channel generating the molecular products of CH{sub 2}CO and H{sub 2}S, which is complementary to the concerted molecular channel. The present work sets the stage for simulating photodissociation dynamics of similar thio-carbonyl systems in matrix.« less
Authors:
; ; ;  [1]
  1. Key Laboratory of Theoretical and Computational Photochemistry, Ministry of Education, College of Chemistry, Beijing Normal University, Beijing 100875 (China)
Publication Date:
OSTI Identifier:
22493252
Resource Type:
Journal Article
Resource Relation:
Journal Name: Journal of Chemical Physics; Journal Volume: 143; Journal Issue: 19; Other Information: (c) 2015 AIP Publishing LLC; Country of input: International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; ARGON; CARBONYLS; COMPARATIVE EVALUATIONS; DISSOCIATION; HYDROGEN SULFIDES; INTERNAL CONVERSION; LENNARD-JONES POTENTIAL; ORGANIC ACIDS; PERTURBATION THEORY; PHOTOLYSIS; QUANTUM MECHANICS; RADICALS; SELF-CONSISTENT FIELD; SURFACES