skip to main content

SciTech ConnectSciTech Connect

Title: STAR COUNT DENSITY PROFILES AND STRUCTURAL PARAMETERS OF 26 GALACTIC GLOBULAR CLUSTERS

We used an appropriate combination of high-resolution Hubble Space Telescope observations and wide-field, ground-based data to derive the radial stellar density profiles of 26 Galactic globular clusters from resolved star counts (which can be all freely downloaded on-line). With respect to surface brightness (SB) profiles (which can be biased by the presence of sparse, bright stars), star counts are considered to be the most robust and reliable tool to derive cluster structural parameters. For each system, a detailed comparison with both King and Wilson models has been performed and the most relevant best-fit parameters have been obtained. This collection of data represents the largest homogeneous catalog collected so far of star count profiles and structural parameters derived therefrom. The analysis of the data of our catalog has shown that (1) the presence of the central cusps previously detected in the SB profiles of NGC 1851, M13, and M62 is not confirmed; (2) the majority of clusters in our sample are fit equally well by the King and the Wilson models; (3) we confirm the known relationship between cluster size (as measured by the effective radius) and galactocentric distance; (4) the ratio between the core and the effective radii shows amore » bimodal distribution, with a peak at {approx}0.3 for about 80% of the clusters and a secondary peak at {approx}0.6 for the remaining 20%. Interestingly, the main peak turns out to be in agreement with that expected from simulations of cluster dynamical evolution and the ratio between these two radii correlates well with an empirical dynamical-age indicator recently defined from the observed shape of blue straggler star radial distribution, thus suggesting that no exotic mechanisms of energy generation are needed in the cores of the analyzed clusters.« less
Authors:
; ; ; ; ;  [1] ;  [2] ;  [3] ;  [4]
  1. Dipartimento di Fisica e Astronomia, Universita di Bologna, Viale Berti Pichat 6/2, I-40127 Bologna (Italy)
  2. Department of Astronomy, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 (United States)
  3. Department of Astronomy and Center for Galaxy Evolution Research, Yonsei University and Yonsei University Observatory, Seoul 120-749 (Korea, Republic of)
  4. European Organization for Astronomical Research in the Southern Hemisphere, K. Schwarzschild-Str. 2, D-85748 Garching (Germany)
Publication Date:
OSTI Identifier:
22133871
Resource Type:
Journal Article
Resource Relation:
Journal Name: Astrophysical Journal; Journal Volume: 774; Journal Issue: 2; Other Information: Country of input: International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
79 ASTROPHYSICS, COSMOLOGY AND ASTRONOMY; BRIGHTNESS; CATALOGS; CUSPED GEOMETRIES; DISTANCE; SIMULATION; SPATIAL DISTRIBUTION; STAR CLUSTERS; STAR EVOLUTION; STARS; TELESCOPES