skip to main content

SciTech ConnectSciTech Connect

Title: CONFIGURATIONS OF BOUNDED AND FREE-FLOATING PLANETS IN VERY YOUNG OPEN CLUSTERS

Open clusters (OCs) are usually young and suitable for studying the formation and evolution of planetary systems. So far, only four planets have been found with radial velocity measurements in OCs. Meanwhile, a lot of free-floating planets (FFPs) have been detected. We utilize N-body simulations to investigate the evolution and final configurations of multi-planetary systems in very young open clusters with an age <10 Myr. After an evolution of 10 Myr, 61%-72% of the planets remain bounded and more than 55% of the planetary systems will maintain their initial orbital configurations. For systems with one planet ejected, more than 25% of them have the surviving planets in misaligned orbits. In the clusters, the fraction of planetary systems with misalignment is >6%, and only 1% have planets in retrograde orbits. We also obtain a positive correlation between the survival planet number and the distance from the cluster center r: planetary systems with a larger r tend to be more stable. Moreover, stars with a mass >2.5 M{sub Sun} are likely unstable and lose their planets. These results are roughly consistent with current observations. Planetary systems in binaries are less stable and we achieve a rough criterion: most of the binary systemsmore » with a{sub b}(1-e{sub b}{sup 2})>100 AU can retain all the initial planets. Finally, 80% of the FFPs are ejected out of the clusters, while the rest ({approx}20%) still stay in host clusters and most of them are concentrated in the center (<2 pc)« less
Authors:
; ;  [1]
  1. School of Astronomy and Space Science and Key Laboratory of Modern Astronomy and Astrophysics in Ministry of Education, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093 (China)
Publication Date:
OSTI Identifier:
22121765
Resource Type:
Journal Article
Resource Relation:
Journal Name: Astrophysical Journal; Journal Volume: 772; Journal Issue: 2; Other Information: Country of input: International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
79 ASTROPHYSICS, COSMOLOGY AND ASTRONOMY; BIOLOGICAL EVOLUTION; CONFIGURATION; DISTANCE; MANY-BODY PROBLEM; MASS; ORBITS; PLANETS; RADIAL VELOCITY; STAR CLUSTERS; STARS