Direct and real time probe of photoinduced structure transition in colossal magnetoresistive material
Here, we report a direct and real time measurement of photoinduced structure phase transition in single crystal La 0.84Sr 0.16MnO 3 using femtosecond electron diffraction. The melting of orthorhombic lattice ordering under femtosecond optical excitation is found involving two distinct processes with different time scales, an initial fast melting of orthorhombic phase in about 4 ps and a subsequent slower transformation in 90 ps and longer timescales. Furthermore, the fast process is designated as the initial melting of orthorhombic phase induced by the Mn-O bond change that is most likely driven by the quenching of the dynamic Jahn-Teller distortion following the photo-excitation. We attribute the slow process to the growing of newly formed structure domain from the photo-excited sites to the neighboring non-excited orthorhombic sites.
- Florida State Univ., Tallahassee, FL (United States). Physics Dept.; National High Mangetic Field Lab., Tallahassee, FL (United States); Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Dept.
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing (China). Inst. of Physics
- National High Mangetic Field Lab., Tallahassee, FL (United States)
- Florida State Univ., Tallahassee, FL (United States). Physics Dept.; National High Mangetic Field Lab., Tallahassee, FL (United States)
- Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX (United States). Texas Materials Inst.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0003-6951; APPLAB; R&D Project: MA015MACA; KC0201010
- Grant/Contract Number:
- SC0012704; 1207252
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Applied Physics Letters
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 109; Journal Issue: 4; Journal ID: ISSN 0003-6951
- American Institute of Physics (AIP)
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.