Higher-order spin-noise spectroscopy of atomic spins in fluctuating external fields
Here, we discuss the effect of external noisy magnetic fields on mesoscopic spin fluctuations that can be probed in semiconductors and atomic vapors by means of optical spin-noise spectroscopy. We also show that conventional arguments of the law of large numbers do not apply to spin correlations induced by external fields, namely, the magnitude of the 4th-order spin cumulant grows as ~N2 with the number N of observed spins, i.e., it is not suppressed in comparison to the 2nd-order cumulant. Moreover, this allows us to design a simple experiment to measure the 4th-order cumulant of spin fluctuations in an atomic system near thermodynamic equilibrium and develop a quantitative theory that explains all observations.
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Center for Nonlinear Studies and Theoretical Division
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). National High Magnetic Field Lab.
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Theoretical Division
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 2469-9926; PLRAAN
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Physical Review A
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 93; Journal Issue: 3; Journal ID: ISSN 2469-9926
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 74 ATOMIC AND MOLECULAR PHYSICS Atomic and Nuclear Physics; Material Science; spin noise; higher order correlators
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.