Evidence for unnatural-parity contributions to electron-impact ionization of laser-aligned atoms
Recent measurements have examined the electron-impact ionization of excited-state laser-aligned Mg atoms. In this paper we show that the ionization cross section arising from the geometry where the aligned atom is perpendicular to the scattering plane directly probes the unnatural parity contributions to the ionization amplitude. The contributions from natural parity partial waves cancel exactly in this geometry. Our calculations resolve the discrepancy between the nonzero measured cross sections in this plane and the zero cross section predicted by distorted-wave approaches. Finally, we demonstrate that this is a general feature of ionization from p-state targets by additional studies of ionization from excited Ca and Na atoms.
- Kansas State Univ., Manhattan, KS (United States). Dept. of Physics. J.R. Macdonald Lab.; Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Theoretical Division
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Theoretical Division
- Auburn Univ., AL (United States). Dept. of Physics
- Missouri Univ. of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO (United States). Physics Dept.
- Univ. of Manchester (United Kingdom). School of Physics and Astronomy. Photon Science Inst.
- Federal Univ. of Juiz de Fora (UFJF) (Brazil). Dept. of Physics
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1050-2947
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC52-06NA25396; 1305527; 1505819
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Physical Review. A
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 92; Journal Issue: 3; Journal ID: ISSN 1050-2947
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA); USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22); National Science Foundation (NSF) (United States)
- Contributing Orgs:
- Kansas State Univ., Manhattan, KS (United States); Auburn Univ., AL (United States); Missouri Univ. of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO (United States); Univ. of Manchester (United Kingdom); Federal Univ. of Juiz de Fora (UFJF) (Brazil)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 74 ATOMIC AND MOLECULAR PHYSICS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.