The importance of radiocarbon dates and tephra for developing chronologies of Holocene environmental changes from lake sediments, North Far East
One problem with developing continuous chronologies of paleoenvironmental change in northern areas of the Far East using 14C is the low organic content in lake sediments. However, Holocene age-models can be supplemented by widespread tephra deposits reported in the Magadan region. The best documented of these tephras has been correlated to the KO tephra from southern Kamchatka dated to 7600 BP. Though a key chronostratigraphic marker, no detailed compendium of the distribution of this tephra and its associated 14C dates has been available from sites in the northern Far East. We provide such a summary. Known locally as the Elikchan tephra, lake cores indicate an ash fall that extended ~1800 km north of the Kamchatkan caldera with a ~500 km wide trajectory in the Magadan region. Other Holocene tephras preserved in lake sediments have poorer age control and possibly date to ~2500 BP, ~2700 BP and ~6000 BP. These ashes seem to be restricted to coastal or near-coastal sites. Finally, a single record of a ~25,000 BP tephra has also been documented ~100 km to the northeast of Magadan.
- Far East Branch Russian Academy of Sciences, Magadan (Russia). Northeast Interdisciplinary Science Research Inst.
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab. (LLNL), Livermore, CA (United States). Center for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry
- Univ. of Washington, Seattle, WA (United States). Earth and Space Sciences and Quaternary Research Center
- Far East Russian Academy of Sciences, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky (Russia). Inst. of Volcanology and Seismology
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1819-7140
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Russian Journal of Pacific Geology
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 10; Journal Issue: 4; Journal ID: ISSN 1819-7140
- Springer - Pleiades Publishing
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab. (LLNL), Livermore, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES; 58 GEOSCIENCES; tephra; chronology; lake sediments; radiocarbon dates; Holocene; Far East of Russia
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.