High Pressure Properties of a Ba-Cu-Zn-P Clathrate-I
Here, the high pressure properties of the novel tetrel-free clathrate, Ba 8Cu 13.1Zn 3.3P 29.6, were investigated using synchrotron powder X-ray diffraction. The pressure was applied using a diamond anvil cell. No structural transitions or decomposition were detected in the studied pressure range of 0.1–7 GPa. The calculated bulk modulus for Ba 8Cu 13.1Zn 3.3P 29.6 using a third-order Birch-Murnaghan equation of state is 65(6) GPa at 300 K. This bulk modulus is comparable to the bulk moduli of Ge- and Sn-based clathrates, like A 8Ga 16Ge 30 (A = Sr, Ba) and Sn 19.3Cu 4.7P 22I 8, but lower than those for the transition metal-containing silicon-based clathrates, Ba 8 T xSi46–x, T = Ni, Cu; 3 ≤ x ≤ 5.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 9; Journal Issue: 8; Journal ID: ISSN 1996-1944
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source (APS)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; clathrate; high pressure; powder X-ray diffraction; bulk modulus
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.