Organic polymer chemistry in the context of novel processes
This paper was written to shed light on a series of what some have stated are not so obvious connections that link polymer synthesis in supercritical CO2 to cancer treatment and vaccines, nonflammable polymer electrolytes for lithium ion batteries, and 3D printing. In telling this story, we also attempt to show the value of versatility in applying one’s primary area of expertise to address pertinent questions in science and in society. In this Outlook, we attempted to identify key factors to enable a versatile and nimble research effort to take shape in an effort to influence diverse fields and have a tangible impact in the private sector through the translation of discoveries into the marketplace.
- Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (United States). Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center; North Carolina State Univ., Raleigh, NC (United States). Chemical Engineering Dept.; Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (United States). Chemistry Dept.
- Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (United States). Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- SC0012673; A15-0871- 001; A15-580-001; CHE-9876674; 1DP1OD006432; U54CA198999; U54CA119373; U54CA151652; N000014-02-1-0185; N00014-07-1-0260; N00014- 07-1-02612; A15-0871-001
- Published Article
- Journal Name:
- ACS Central Science
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 2; Journal Issue: 9; Journal ID: ISSN 2374-7943
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Research Org:
- Univ. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22); National Science Foundation (NSF); National Institutes of Health (NIH); US Department of the Navy, Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.