Simultaneous occurrence of multiferroism and short-range magnetic order in
In this paper, we present a combined neutron scattering and magnetization study on the multiferroic DyFeO3, which shows a very strong magnetoelectric effect. Applying magnetic field along the c axis, the weak ferromagnetic order of the Fe ions is quickly recovered from a spin reorientation transition, and the long-range antiferromagnetic order of Dy becomes a short-range one. We found that the short-range order concurs with the multiferroic phase and is responsible for its sizable hysteresis. In conclusion, our H-T phase diagram suggests that the strong magnetoelectric effect in DyFeO3 has to be understood with not only the weak ferromagnetism of Fe but also the short-range antiferromagnetic order of Dy.
- Renmin Univ. of China, Beijing (China); Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States); Univ. of Kentucky, Lexington, KY (United States)
- Renmin Univ. of China, Beijing (China)
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States); Univ. of Kentucky, Lexington, KY (United States)
- Univ. of Science and Technology of China, Hefei (China); Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Hefei (China); Collaborative Innovation Center of Advanced Microstructures, Nanjing (China)
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO), Menai, NSW (Australia). Bragg Inst.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Physical Review B
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 93; Journal Issue: 14; Journal ID: ISSN 2469-9950
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.