Biogeochemical modeling of CO2 and CH4 production in anoxic Arctic soil microcosms
Soil organic carbon turnover to CO2 and CH4 is sensitive to soil redox potential and pH conditions. But, land surface models do not consider redox and pH in the aqueous phase explicitly, thereby limiting their use for making predictions in anoxic environments. Using recent data from incubations of Arctic soils, we extend the Community Land Model with coupled carbon and nitrogen (CLM-CN) decomposition cascade to include simple organic substrate turnover, fermentation, Fe(III) reduction, and methanogenesis reactions, and assess the efficacy of various temperature and pH response functions. Incorporating the Windermere Humic Aqueous Model (WHAM) enables us to approximately describe the observed pH evolution without additional parameterization. Though Fe(III) reduction is normally assumed to compete with methanogenesis, the model predicts that Fe(III) reduction raises the pH from acidic to neutral, thereby reducing environmental stress to methanogens and accelerating methane production when substrates are not limiting. Furthermore, the equilibrium speciation predicts a substantial increase in CO2 solubility as pH increases, and taking into account CO2 adsorption to surface sites of metal oxides further decreases the predicted headspace gas-phase fraction at low pH. Without adequate representation of these speciation reactions, as well as the impacts of pH, temperature, and pressure, the CO2 productionmore »
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Environmental Sciences Division
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Biosciences Sciences Division
- San Diego State Univ., CA (United States). Biology Dept.
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Biosciences Sciences Division and Climate Change Science Inst.
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Environmental Sciences Division and Climate Change Science Inst.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC05-00OR22725; NGEE-Arctic
- Published Article
- Journal Name:
- Biogeosciences (Online)
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Name: Biogeosciences (Online); Journal Volume: 13; Journal Issue: 17; Journal ID: ISSN 1726-4189
- European Geosciences Union
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Biological and Environmental Research (BER) (SC-23)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES; 58 GEOSCIENCES
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.