Stochastic Particle Real Time Analyzer (SPARTA) Validation and Verification Suite
This report presents the test cases used to verify, validate and demonstrate the features and capabilities of the first release of the 3D Direct Simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC) code SPARTA (Stochastic Real Time Particle Analyzer). The test cases included in this report exercise the most critical capabilities of the code like the accurate representation of physical phenomena (molecular advection and collisions, energy conservation, etc.) and implementation of numerical methods (grid adaptation, load balancing, etc.). Several test cases of simple flow examples are shown to demonstrate that the code can reproduce phenomena predicted by analytical solutions and theory. A number of additional test cases are presented to illustrate the ability of SPARTA to model flow around complicated shapes. In these cases, the results are compared to other well-established codes or theoretical predictions. This compilation of test cases is not exhaustive, and it is anticipated that more cases will be added in the future.
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States). Fluid Science and Engineering Dept.
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States). Multi Scale Science Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA). Advanced Simulation and Computing (ASC) Physics and Engineering Models (P&EM) Project
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 97 MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTING
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.