Combined single crystal polarized XAFS and XRD at high pressure: probing the interplay between lattice distortions and electronic order at multiple length scales in high T c cuprates
Some of the most exotic material properties derive from electronic states with short correlation length (~10-500 Å), suggesting that the local structural symmetry may play a relevant role in their behavior. In this study, we discuss the combined use of polarized x-ray absorption fine structure and x-ray diffraction at high pressure as a powerful method to tune and probe structural and electronic orders at multiple length scales. Besides addressing some of the technical challenges associated with such experiments, we illustrate this approach with results obtained in the cuprate La 1.875Ba 0.125CuO 4, in which the response of electronic order to pressure can only be understood by probing the structure at the relevant length scales.
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source (APS); Washington Univ., St. Louis, MO (United States). Dept. of Physics; Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Dept.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Dept.
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source (APS)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0895-7959; R&D Project: PO010; KC0201060
- Grant/Contract Number:
- SC00112704; AC02-06CH11357; 1047478
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- High Pressure Research
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Name: High Pressure Research; Journal ID: ISSN 0895-7959
- Taylor & Francis
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States); Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22). Scientific User Facilities Division
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; polarized XAFS; x-ray diffraction; high pressure; cuprates; 73 NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RADIATION PHYSICS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.