An adaptive multiblock high-order finite-volume method for solving the shallow-water equations on the sphere
We present a high-order finite-volume approach for solving the shallow-water equations on the sphere, using multiblock grids on the cubed-sphere. This approach combines a Runge--Kutta time discretization with a fourth-order accurate spatial discretization, and includes adaptive mesh refinement and refinement in time. Results of tests show fourth-order convergence for the shallow-water equations as well as for advection in a highly deformational flow. Hierarchical adaptive mesh refinement allows solution error to be achieved that is comparable to that obtained with uniform resolution of the most refined level of the hierarchy, but with many fewer operations.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States). Computational Research Div.
- Univ. of California, Davis, CA (United States). Dept. of Land, Air and Water Resources
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1559-3940; ir:183366
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Communications in Applied Mathematics and Computational Science
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 10; Journal Issue: 2; Journal ID: ISSN 1559-3940
- Mathematical Sciences Publishers
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States). Computational Research Division
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Advanced Scientific Computing Research (ASCR) (SC-21)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 97 MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTING
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.