Enhancement of maximum attainable ion energy in the radiation pressure acceleration regime using a guiding structure
Radiation Pressure Acceleration is a highly efficient mechanism of laser driven ion acceleration, with the laser energy almost totally transferrable to the ions in the relativistic regime. There is a fundamental limit on the maximum attainable ion energy, which is determined by the group velocity of the laser. In the case of a tightly focused laser pulses, which are utilized to get the highest intensity, another factor limiting the maximum ion energy comes into play, the transverse expansion of the target. Transverse expansion makes the target transparent for radiation, thus reducing the effectiveness of acceleration. Utilization of an external guiding structure for the accelerating laser pulse may provide a way of compensating for the group velocity and transverse expansion effects.
- Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA), Kyoto (Japan). Kansai Photon Science Inst.; Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), Moscow (Russian Federation). Prokhorov Inst. of General Physics; Moscow Inst. of Physics and Technology (MIPT), Moscow (Russian Federation)
- Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA), Kyoto (Japan). Kansai Photon Science Inst.
- Univ. of Pisa (Italy). Physics Dept.
- Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA (United States); Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0031-9007; ir:186472
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Physical Review Letters
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 114; Journal ID: ISSN 0031-9007
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States). Accelerator & Fusion Research Division
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Fusion Energy Sciences (FES) (SC-24)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.