Measurement of coherent production of π± in neutrino and antineutrino beams on carbon from Eν of 1.5 to 20 GeV
Neutrino-induced coherent charged pion production on nuclei ν(–)μA → μ±π∓A is a rare, inelastic interaction in which a small squared four-momentum |t| is transferred to the recoil nucleus, leaving it intact in the reaction. In the scintillator tracker of MINERvA, we remove events with evidence of particles from nuclear breakup and reconstruct |t| from the final-state pion and muon. In addition, we select low |t| events to isolate a sample rich in coherent candidates. By selecting low |t| events, we produce a model-independent measurement of the differential cross section for coherent scattering of neutrinos and antineutrinos on carbon. We find poor agreement with the predicted kinematics in neutrino generators used by current oscillation experiments.
- Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY (United States); Univ. de Guanajuato, Guanajuato (Mexico). et al.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0031-9007; PRLTAO; arXiv eprint number arXiv:1409.3835; TRN: US1601144
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Physical Review Letters
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 113; Journal Issue: 26; Journal ID: ISSN 0031-9007
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Research Org:
- Fermi National Accelerator Lab. (FNAL), Batavia, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), High Energy Physics (HEP) (SC-25)
- Contributing Orgs:
- MINERvA Collaboration
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 72 PHYSICS OF ELEMENTARY PARTICLES AND FIELDS; 73 NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RADIATION PHYSICS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.