This content will become publicly available on January 23, 2015
The accurate assessment of small-angle X-ray scattering data
Small-angle X-ray scattering (SAXS) has grown in popularity in recent times with the advent of bright synchrotron X-ray sources, powerful computational resources and algorithms enabling the calculation of increasingly complex models. However, the lack of standardized data-quality metrics presents difficulties for the growing user community in accurately assessing the quality of experimental SAXS data. Here, a series of metrics to quantitatively describe SAXS data in an objective manner using statistical evaluations are defined. These metrics are applied to identify the effects of radiation damage, concentration dependence and interparticle interactions on SAXS data from a set of 27 previously described targets for which high-resolution structures have been determined via X-ray crystallography or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. Studies show that these metrics are sufficient to characterize SAXS data quality on a small sample set with statistical rigor and sensitivity similar to or better than manual analysis. The development of data-quality analysis strategies such as these initial efforts is needed to enable the accurate and unbiased assessment of SAXS data quality.
- Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Inst. (HWI), Buffalo, NY (United States)
- Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Inst. (HWI), Buffalo, NY (United States); SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo, NY (United States)
- SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States). Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (SSRL).
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Acta Crystallographica. Section D: Biological Crystallography (Online)
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Name: Acta Crystallographica. Section D: Biological Crystallography (Online); Journal Volume: 71; Journal Issue: 1; Journal ID: ISSN 1399-0047
- International Union of Crystallography
- Research Org:
- SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; SAXS data quality; SAXStats
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.