This content will become publicly available on October 1, 2016
Microstructure effects on the recrystallization of low-symmetry alpha-uranium
We employ electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD) to investigate microstructural evolution of uranium during recrystallization. To understand the relationship between microstructure and recrystallization, we use measures of intra-granular misorientation within grains and near grain boundaries in both deformed (non-recrystallized) uranium and recrystallizing uranium. The data show that the level of intra-granular misorientation depends on crystallographic orientation. However, contrary to expectation, this relationship does not significantly affect the recrystallization texture. Rather, the analysis suggests that recrystallization nucleation occurs along high angle grain boundaries in the deformed microstructure. Specifically, we show that the nucleation of recrystallized grains correlates well with the spatially heterogeneous distribution of high angle boundaries. Due to the inhomogeneous distribution of high angle boundaries, the recrystallized microstructure after long times exhibits clustered distributions of small and large grains. Twin boundaries do not appear to act as recrystallization nucleation sites.
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Materials Science and Technology Division
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Theoretical Division
- Univ. of New Hampshire, Durham, NH (United States). Dept. of Mech. Eng.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0022-3115; PII: S0022311515002743; TRN: US1500731
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC52-06NA25396; 20140630ER
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Journal of Nuclear Materials
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 465; Journal Issue: C; Journal ID: ISSN 0022-3115
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; recrystallization; uranium; EBSD
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.