High-performance ternary blend polymer solar cells involving both energy transfer and hole relay processes
The integration of multiple materials with complementary absorptions into a single junction device is regarded as an efficient way to enhance the power conversion efficiency (PCE) of organic solar cells (OSCs). However, because of increased complexity with one more component, only limited high-performance ternary systems have been demonstrated previously. Here we report an efficient ternary blend OSC with a PCE of 9.2%. We show that the third component can reduce surface trap densities in the ternary blend. Detailed studies unravel that the improved performance results from synergistic effects of enlarged open circuit voltage, suppressed trap-assisted recombination, enhanced light absorption, increased hole extraction, efficient energy transfer and better morphology. As a result, the working mechanism and high device performance demonstrate new insights and design guidelines for high-performance ternary blend solar cells and suggest that ternary structure is a promising platform to boost the efficiency of OSCs.
- Univ. of Chicago, Chicago, IL (United States). Dept. of Chemistry and the James Franck Inst.
- Argonne National Lab., Argonne, IL (United States). Div. of Materials Science; Univ of Chicago, Chicago, IL (United States). Inst. for Molecular Engineering.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC02-06CH11357; AC02-05CH11231
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Nature Communications
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 6; Journal ID: ISSN 2041-1723
- Nature Publishing Group
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States); Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 14 SOLAR ENERGY; physical sciences; applied physics; materials science; optical physics
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.