Investigation of EMIC wave scattering as the cause for the BARREL 17 January 2013 relativistic electron precipitation event: A quantitative comparison of simulation with observations
Electromagnetic ion cyclotron (EMIC) waves were observed at multiple observatory locations for several hours on 17 January 2013. During the wave activity period, a duskside relativistic electron precipitation (REP) event was observed by one of the Balloon Array for Radiation belt Relativistic Electron Losses (BARREL) balloons and was magnetically mapped close to Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES) 13. We simulate the relativistic electron pitch angle diffusion caused by gyroresonant interactions with EMIC waves using wave and particle data measured by multiple instruments on board GOES 13 and the Van Allen Probes. We show that the count rate, the energy distribution, and the time variation of the simulated precipitation all agree very well with the balloon observations, suggesting that EMIC wave scattering was likely the cause for the precipitation event. The event reported here is the first balloon REP event with closely conjugate EMIC wave observations, and our study employs the most detailed quantitative analysis on the link of EMIC waves with observed REP to date.
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH (United States). Dept. of Physics and Astronomy.
- Univ. of California, Santa Cruz, CA (United States). Physics Dept. and Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics.
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Univ. of Colorado Boulder, Boulder, CO (United States). Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences.
- Augsburg College, Minneapolos, MN (United States). Dept. of Physics.
- Southwest Research Inst. (SwRI), San Antonio, TX (United States)
- Aerospace Corporation, Los Angeles, CA (United States). Space Science Applications Lab.
- Univ. of New Hampshire, Durham, NH (United States). Institute for the Study of Earth, Oceans, and Space.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Geophysical Research Letters
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 41; Journal Issue: 24; Journal ID: ISSN 0094-8276
- American Geophysical Union
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 58 GEOSCIENCES
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.