120 years of U.S. residential housing stock and floor space
Residential buildings are a key driver of energy consumption and also impact transportation and land-use. Energy consumption in the residential sector accounts for one-fifth of total U.S. energy consumption and energy-related CO₂ emissions, with floor space a major driver of building energy demands. In this work a consistent, vintage-disaggregated, annual long-term series of U.S. housing stock and residential floor space for 1891–2010 is presented. An attempt was made to minimize the effects of the incompleteness and inconsistencies present in the national housing survey data. Over the 1891–2010 period, floor space increased almost tenfold, from approximately 24,700 to 235,150 million square feet, corresponding to a doubling of floor space per capita from approximately 400 to 800 square feet. While population increased five times over the period, a 50% decrease in household size contributed towards a tenfold increase in the number of housing units and floor space, while average floor space per unit remains surprisingly constant, as a result of housing retirement dynamics. In the last 30 years, however, these trends appear to be changing, as household size shows signs of leveling off, or even increasing again, while average floor space per unit has been increasing. GDP and total floor space showmore »
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States). Joint Global Change Research Institute.
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States). Joint Global Change Research Institute; University of Maryland, College Park, MD (United States). Dept. of Atmospheric and Oceanic Science.
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- East China Univ. of Science and Technology, Shanghai (China)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- PLoS ONE
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 10; Journal Issue: 8; Journal ID: ISSN 1932-6203
- Public Library of Science
- Research Org:
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 32 ENERGY CONSERVATION, CONSUMPTION, AND UTILIZATION housing; census; surveys; alternative energy; demography; transportation; carbon dioxide; population dynamics
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.