Observation of low-lying resonances in the quasicontinuum of 195,196Pt and enhanced astrophysical reaction rates
An excess of strength on the low-energy tail of the giant dipole resonance recently has been observed in the γ-decay from the quasicontinuum of 195,196Pt. The nature of this phenomenon is not yet fully investigated. If this feature is present also in the γ-ray strength of the neutron-rich isotopes, it can affect the neutron-capture reactions involved in the formation of heavy-elements in stellar nucleosynthesis. The experimental level density and γ-ray strength function of 195,196Pt are presented together with preliminary calculations of the corresponding neutron-capture cross sections.
- Univ. of Oslo, Olso (Norway). Dept. of Physics.
- Univ. of Oslo, Olso (Norway). Dept. of Physics; Univ. of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch (South Africa)
- Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, FL (United States)
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Univ. of Oslo, Olso (Norway). Dept. of Physics; Institute of Nuclear Research of the Hungarian Academy of Science, Debrecen (Hungary)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- EPJ Web of Conferences
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 93; Journal ID: ISSN 2100-014X
- EDP Sciences
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 73 NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RADIATION PHYSICS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.