This content will become publicly available on November 20, 2015
Reduced Magnetization and Loss in Ag-Mg Sheathed Bi2212 Wires: Systematics With Sample Twist Pitch and Length
Suppression of magnetization and effective filament diameter (deff) with twisting was investigated for a series of recent Bi2212 strands manufactured by Oxford Superconducting Technologies. We measured magnetization as a function of field (out to 14 T), at 5.1 K, of twisted and nontwisted 37 × 18 double restack design strands. The samples were helical coils 5-6 mm in height and approximately 5 mm in diameter. The strand diameter was 0.8 mm. The magnetization of samples having twist pitches of 25.4, 12.7, and 6.35 mm were examined and compared to nontwisted samples of the same filament configuration. The critical state model was used to extract the 12-T deff from magnetization data for comparison. Twisting the samples reduced deff by a factor of 1.5-3. The deff was shown to increase both with L and Lp. Mathematical expressions, based upon the anisotropic continuum model, were fit to the data, and a parameter γ2, which quantifies the electrical connectivity perpendicular to the filament axis, was extracted. The bundle-to-bundle connectivity along the radial axis was found to be approximately 0.2%. The deff was substantially reduced with Lp. In addition, the importance of understanding sample length dependence for quantitative measurements is discussed.
- The Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH (United States). Center for Superconducting and Magnetic Materials (CSMM), Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
- Oxford Superconducting Technology, Carteret, NJ (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- SC0010312; SC0011721
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 25; Journal Issue: 3; Journal ID: ISSN 1051-8223
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Research Org:
- The Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), High Energy Physics (HEP) (SC-25)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY; 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; Bi2212, effective filament diameter, hightemperature superconductors, magnetization, multifilamentary superconductors, superconducting filaments and wires.
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.