Validating (d,p gamma) as a Surrogate for Neutron Capture
The r-process is responsible for creating roughly half of the elements heavier than iron. It has recently become understood that the rates at which neutron capture reactions proceed at late times in the r-process may dramatically affect the final abundance pattern. However, direct measurements of neutron capture reaction rates on exotic nuclei are exceptionally difficult, necessitating the development of indirect approaches such as the surrogate technique. The (d,pγ) reaction at low energies was identified as a promising surrogate for the (n,γ) reaction, as both reactions share many characteristics. We report on a program to validate (d,pγ) as a surrogate for (n,γ) using 95Mo as a target. The experimental campaign includes direct measurements of the γ-ray intensities from the decay of excited states populated in the 95Mo(n,γ) and 95Mo(d,pγ) reactions.
- Rutgers Univ., New Brunswick, NJ (United States). Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
- Oak Ridge National Lab., TN (United States)
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab., CA (United States)
- Los Alamos Naitonal Lab., NM (United States)
- Texas A&M Univ., College Station, TX (United States). Dept. of Physics
- Saint Mary's Univ., Halifax (Canada). Astronomy and Physics Dept.
- Argonne National Lab., IL (United States)
- Univ. of Richmond, VA (United States). Dept. of Physics
- Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States). Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
- Tennessee Technological Univ., Cookeville, TN (United States). Physics Dept.
- Univ. of Massachusetts Lowell, MA (United States). Dept. of Physics and Applied Physics
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities, Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- FG52-08NA28552; NA0002132; FG52-09NA29467; AC02-06CH11357; AC52-07NA27344; AC52-06NA25396; AC05-00OR22725; FG02-96ER40983; SC0001174; FG02-96ER40955; FG02-05ER41379; FG02-93ER40773
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- EPJ Web of Conferences
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 93; Journal ID: ISSN 2100-014X
- EDP Sciences
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA); USDOE Office of Science (SC); USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), Office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (NA-20)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 73 NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RADIATION PHYSICS; 79 ASTRONOMY AND ASTROPHYSICS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.