Photon-in photon-out hard X-ray spectroscopy at the Linac Coherent Light Source
X-ray free-electron lasers (FELs) have opened unprecedented possibilities to study the structure and dynamics of matter at an atomic level and ultra-fast timescale. Many of the techniques routinely used at storage ring facilities are being adapted for experiments conducted at FELs. In order to take full advantage of these new sources several challenges have to be overcome. They are related to the very different source characteristics and its resulting impact on sample delivery, X-ray optics, X-ray detection and data acquisition. Here it is described how photon-in photon-out hard X-ray spectroscopy techniques can be applied to study the electronic structure and its dynamics of transition metal systems with ultra-bright and ultra-short FEL X-ray pulses. In particular, some of the experimental details that are different compared with synchrotron-based setups are discussed and illustrated by recent measurements performed at the Linac Coherent Light Source.
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Menlo Park, CA (United States)
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Menlo Park, CA (United States); Lawrence Berkeley National Lab., Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Journal of Synchrotron Radiation (Online)
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Name: Journal of Synchrotron Radiation (Online); Journal Volume: 22; Journal Issue: 3; Journal ID: ISSN 1600-5775
- International Union of Crystallography
- Research Org:
- SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Contributing Orgs:
- Portions of this research were carried out at the Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS) at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. LCLS is an Office of Science User Facility operated for the US Department of Energy Office of Science by Stanford University.
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; FEL; hard X-ray emission spectroscopy; XES; XRS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.