Why should we care about the top quark Yukawa coupling?
In the cosmological context, for the Standard Model to be valid up to the scale of inflation, the top quark Yukawa coupling yt should not exceed the critical value ytcrit , coinciding with good precision (about 0.2‰) with the requirement of the stability of the electroweak vacuum. So, the exact measurements of yt may give an insight on the possible existence and the energy scale of new physics above 100 GeV, which is extremely sensitive to yt. In this study, we overview the most recent theoretical computations of and the experimental measurements of ytcrit and the experimental measurements of yt. Within the theoretical and experimental uncertainties in yt, the required scale of new physics varies from 10⁷ GeV to the Planck scale, urging for precise determination of the top quark Yukawa coupling.
- Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne (Switzerland)
- European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), Geneva (Switzerland); Univ. of Connecticut, Storrs, CT (United States); Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1063-7761; R&D Project: PO-3
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 120; Journal Issue: 3; Journal ID: ISSN 1063-7761
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 72 PHYSICS OF ELEMENTARY PARTICLES AND FIELDS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.