This content will become publicly available on May 5, 2015
A new spin on neutrino quantum kinetics
Recent studies have demonstrated that in anisotropic environments a coherent spin-flip term arises in the Quantum Kinetic Equations (QKEs) which govern the evolution of neutrino flavor and spin in hot and dense media. This term can mediate neutrino–antineutrino transformation for Majorana neutrinos and active-sterile transformation for Dirac neutrinos. We discuss the physical origin of the coherent spin-flip term and provide explicit expressions for the QKEs in a two-flavor model with spherical geometry. In this context, we demonstrate that coherent neutrino spin transformation depends on the absolute neutrino mass and Majorana phases.
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States); New Mexico Consortium, Los Alamos, NM (United States). Neutrino Engineering Institute.
- New Mexico Consortium, Los Alamos, NM (United States). Neutrino Engineering Institute; Univ. of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC52-06NA25396; 12-LR-237070
- Published Article
- Journal Name:
- Physics Letters. Section B
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 747; Journal Issue: C; Journal ID: ISSN 0370-2693
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 72 PHYSICS OF ELEMENTARY PARTICLES AND FIELDS
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.