Exploring the structure of high temperature, iron-bearing liquids
This paper describes the direct measurements of the structure of iron-bearing liquids using a combination of containerless techniques and in–situ high energy x-ray diffraction. These capabilities provide data that is important to help model and optimize processes such as smelting, steel making, and controlling slag chemistry. A successful programme of liquid studies has been undertaken and the Advanced Photon Source using these combined techniques which include the provision of gas mixing and the control of pO₂ and the changing influence of mixed valance elements. It is possible to combine rapid image acquisition with quenching of liquids to obtain the full diffraction patterns of deeply supercooled liquids and the metastable supercooled liquid regime, where the liquid structures and viscosity change most dramatically, can also be explored.
- Aberystwyth Univ., Aberystwyth (United Kingdom). Dept. of Mathematics and Physics.
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Materials Development Inc., Arlington Heights, IL (United States)
- Stony Brook Univ., Stony Brook, NY (United States). Dept. of Geosciences.
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States); Materials Development Inc., Arlington Heights, IL (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Materials Today: Proceedings
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 2; Journal Issue: S2; Conference: Joint 3. UK-China Steel Research Forum and 15. CMA-UK Conference on Materials Science and Engineering, Chilton (United Kingdom), 10-11 Jul 2014; Journal ID: ISSN 2214-7853
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Advanced Photon Source (APS)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; high-energy x-ray diffraction; liquid structure; containerless techniques
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.