This content will become publicly available on January 23, 2015
Indexing amyloid peptide diffraction from serial femtosecond crystallography: New algorithms for sparse patterns
Still diffraction patterns from peptide nanocrystals with small unit cells are challenging to index using conventional methods owing to the limited number of spots and the lack of crystal orientation information for individual images. New indexing algorithms have been developed as part of theComputational Crystallography Toolbox(cctbx) to overcome these challenges. Accurate unit-cell information derived from an aggregate data set from thousands of diffraction patterns can be used to determine a crystal orientation matrix for individual images with as few as five reflections. These algorithms are potentially applicable not only to amyloid peptides but also to any set of diffraction patterns with sparse properties, such as low-resolution virus structures or high-throughput screening of still images captured by raster-scanning at synchrotron sources. As a proof of concept for this technique, successful integration of X-ray free-electron laser (XFEL) data to 2.5 Å resolution for the amyloid segment GNNQQNY from the Sup35 yeast prion is presented.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States). Physical Biosciences Division.
- Univ. of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States)
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States); Univ. of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States)
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC02-05CH11231; FC02-02ER63421
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Acta Crystallographica. Section D: Biological Crystallography (Online)
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Name: Acta Crystallographica. Section D: Biological Crystallography (Online); Journal Volume: 71; Journal Issue: 2; Journal ID: ISSN 1399-0047
- International Union of Crystallography
- Research Org:
- SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY; 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES; XFEL; Sup35 yeast prion; indexing methods; crystallography
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.