This content will become publicly available on January 1, 2016
Electron-stimulated purification of platinum nanostructures grown via focused electron beam induced deposition
In this paper, platinum–carbon nanostructures deposited via electron beam induced deposition from MeCpPt(IV)Me3 are purified during a post-deposition electron exposure treatment in a localized oxygen ambient at room temperature. Time-dependent studies demonstrate that the process occurs from the top–down. Electron beam energy and current studies demonstrate that the process is controlled by a confluence of the electron energy loss and oxygen concentration. Furthermore, the experimental results are modeled as a 2nd order reaction which is dependent on both the electron energy loss density and the oxygen concentration. Finally, in addition to purification, the post-deposition electron stimulated oxygen purification process enhances the resolution of the EBID process due to the isotropic carbon removal from the as-deposited materials which produces high-fidelity shape retention.
- Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States). Materials Science and Engineering Dept.
- Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States). Materials Science and Engineering Dept.; Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Nanofabrication Research Lab., Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Nanofabrication Research Lab., Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences
- Graz Univ. of Technology, Steyrergasse (Austria). Inst. for Electron Microscopy and Nanoanalysis
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 6; Journal ID: ISSN 2190-4286
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.