Generalized extended Lagrangian Born-Oppenheimer molecular dynamics
Extended Lagrangian Born-Oppenheimer molecular dynamics based on Kohn-Sham density functional theory is generalized in the limit of vanishing self-consistent field optimization prior to the force evaluations. The equations of motion are derived directly from the extended Lagrangian under the condition of an adiabatic separation between the nuclear and the electronic degrees of freedom. We show how this separation is automatically fulfilled and system independent. The generalized equations of motion require only one diagonalization per time step and are applicable to a broader range of materials with improved accuracy and stability compared to previous formulations.
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States). Theoretical Division.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC52-06NA25396; FWP#LANL20101053
- Published Article
- Journal Name:
- Journal of Chemical Physics
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 141; Journal Issue: 16; Journal ID: ISSN 0021-9606
- American Institute of Physics (AIP)
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- molecular dynamics; Lagrangian mechanics; equations of motion; ground states; potential energy surfaces
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.