On Baryon-Antibaryon Cross Sections from Initial State Radiation Processes at BABAR and their Surprising Threshold Behavior
BABAR has measured with unprecedented accuracy the e +e - → pp-bar and e +e - → ΛΛ-bar cross sections by means of the initial state radiation technique, which has the advantages of good efficiency and energy resolution, and full angular acceptance in the threshold region. A striking feature of these cross sections is their non-vanishing values at threshold. In the case of charged baryons, the phenomenon is well understood in terms of the Coulomb interaction between the outgoing baryon and antibaryon. However, such an effect is not expected for neutral baryons. We suggest a simple explanation for both charged and neutral baryon pairs based on Coulomb interactions at the valence quark level.
- Enrico Fermi Center, Rome (Italy); National Inst. of Nuclear Physics (INFN), Frascati (Italy). National Lab. of Frascati (INFN-LFN). et al.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Resource Relation:
- Conference: 11. International Conference on Meson-Nucleon Physics and the Structure of the Nucleon (MENU 2007), Juelich (Germany), 10-14 Sep 2007; Related Information: ECONF C070910:272,2007
- Research Org:
- SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), High Energy Physics (HEP) (SC-25)
- Contributing Orgs:
- BABAR Collaboration
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 72 PHYSICS OF ELEMENTARY PARTICLES AND FIELDS; CROSS SECTIONS; ELECTRON-POSITRON INTERACTIONS; QUARKS; PROTONS; ANTIPROTONS; LAMBDA PARTICLES; ANTILAMBDA PARTICLES; COULOMB FIELD; THRESHOLD ENERGY; HEP-TH
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.