Gauge turbulence, topological defect dynamics, and condensation in Higgs models
The real-time dynamics of topological defects and turbulent configurations of gauge fields for electric and magnetic confinement are studied numerically within a 2+1D Abelian Higgs model. It is shown that confinement is appearing in such systems equilibrating after a strong initial quench such as the overpopulation of the infrared modes. While the final equilibrium state does not support confinement, metastable vortex defect configurations appearing in the gauge field are found to be closely related to the appearance of physically observable confined electric and magnetic charges. These phenomena are seen to be intimately related to the approach of a non-thermal fixed point of the far-from-equilibrium dynamical evolution, signaled by universal scaling in the gauge-invariant correlation function of the Higgs field. Even when the parameters of the Higgs action do not support condensate formation in the vacuum, during this approach, transient Higgs condensation is observed. We discuss implications of these results for the far-from-equilibrium dynamics of Yang–Mills fields and potential mechanisms of how confinement and condensation in non-Abelian gauge fields can be understood in terms of the dynamics of Higgs models. These suggest that there is an interesting new class of dynamics of strong coherent turbulent gauge fields with condensates.
- Heidelberg Univ. (Germany). Inst. for Theoretische Physik; GSI-Darmstadt (Germany). ExtreMe Matter Inst. (EMMI)
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). RIKEN Research Center and Physics Dept.; China Central Normal Univ., Wuhan (China). Physics Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0375-9474; R&D Project: KB0301020
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC02-98CH10886; GA677/7/8; HA216/EMMI; ERC-AdG-290623
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Nuclear Physics. A
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 930; Journal Issue: C; Journal ID: ISSN 0375-9474
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Nuclear Physics (NP) (SC-26)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 73 NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RADIATION PHYSICS; Condensate formation; Confinement; Far-from-equilibrium dynamics; Non-thermal fixed points; Quark–gluon plasma
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.