RHIC Prefire Protection Masks
The protection of the RHIC experimental detectors from damage due to beam hitting close upstream elements in cases of abort kicker prefires requires some dedicated precautionary measures with two general options: to bring the beam close to a limiting aperture (i.e. the beam pipe wall), as far upstream of the detector components as possible or, alternatively, to bring a limiting aperture close to the circulating beam. During the FY 2014 RHIC Heavy Ion run the first option was chosen because of the limited time available for preparation before the start of the run. For future runs the second option, in this case the installation of dual-sided movable masks, is preferred. The installation of the masks, one per ring, is planned before the start of the FY 2015 run.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Collider-Accelerator Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- BNL--107380-2015-IR; BNL--C-A/AP/533
R&D Project: 18031; KBCH139; KB0202011; TRN: US1500137
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Nuclear Physics (NP) (SC-26)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; BROOKHAVEN RHIC; APERTURES; SAFETY; WALLS; ACCELERATOR FACILITIES; RADIATION DETECTORS; PHYSICAL RADIATION EFFECTS; IRRADIATION; KICKER MAGNETS; FAILURES Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.