This content will become publicly available on January 1, 2016
Aerosol remote sensing in polar regions
Multi-year sets of ground-based sun-photometer measurements conducted at 12 Arctic sites and 9 Antarctic sites were examined to determine daily mean values of aerosol optical thickness τ(λ) at visible and near-infrared wavelengths, from which best-fit values of Ångström's exponent α were calculated. Analysing these data, the monthly mean values of τ(0.50 μm) and α and the relative frequency histograms of the daily mean values of both parameters were determined for winter–spring and summer–autumn in the Arctic and for austral summer in Antarctica. The Arctic and Antarctic covariance plots of the seasonal median values of α versus τ(0.50 μm) showed: (i) a considerable increase in τ(0.50 μm) for the Arctic aerosol from summer to winter–spring, without marked changes in α; and (ii) a marked increase in τ(0.50 μm) passing from the Antarctic Plateau to coastal sites, whereas α decreased considerably due to the larger fraction of sea-salt aerosol. Good agreement was found when comparing ground-based sun-photometer measurements of τ(λ) and α at Arctic and Antarctic coastal sites with Microtops measurements conducted during numerous AERONET/MAN cruises from 2006 to 2013 in three Arctic Ocean sectors and in coastal and off-shore regions of the Southern Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans, and the Antarcticmore »
- Italian National Research Council, Bologna (Italy). Inst. of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (ISAC), Climate Change Div.
- Univ. of Bremen (Germany). Inst. of Environmental Physics (IUP); EUMETSAT, Darmstadt (Germany)
- Alfred Wegener Inst. for Polar and Marine Research, Potsdam (Germany). Climate Systems Div.
- Sigma Space Corp., Lanham, MD (Untied States); NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), Greenbelt, MD (United States). Biospheric Sciences Branch
- Univl of Sherbrooke, Quebec (Canada). Canadian Network for the Detection of Atmospheric Change (CANDAC) and CARTEL, Dept. of Applied Geomatics
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Boulder, CO (United States). Global Monitoring Div.; Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, CO (United States). Cooperative Inst. for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC), Greenbelt, MD (United States). Biospheric Sciences Branch
- Physikalisch-Meteorologisches Observatorium (PMOD)/World Radiation Centre (WRC), Davos (Switzerland)
- Norwegian Inst. for Air Research (NILU), Kjeller (Norway)
- Finnish Meteorological Inst. (FMI), Helsinki (Finland). Climate and Global Change Div.
- Finnish Meteorological Inst. (FMI), Helsinki (Finland). Climate and Global Change Div.; Univ. of Helsinki (Finland)
- Alfred Wegener Inst. for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven (Germany). Climate Systems Div.
- Arctic and Antarctic Research Inst. (AARI), St. Petersburg (Russian Federation)
- Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS), Sopot (Poland). Inst. of Oceanology
- Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), Tomsk (Russian Federation). V.E. Zuev Inst. of Atomospheric Optics (IAO), Siberian Branch
- London Metropolitan Univ. (United Kingdom). Life and Sciences Computing; Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing (China). Inst. of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Key Lab. of Digital Earth Science
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing (China). Inst. of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Key Lab. of Digital Earth Science
- Univ. of Bremen (Germany). Inst. of Environmental Physics (IUP)
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Environmental and Climate Sciences Dept.
- Environment Canada, North York, ON (Canada)
- Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS), Warsaw (Poland). Inst. of Geophysics
- Finnish Meteorological Inst. (FMI), Sodankyla (Finland). Arctic Research Center
- Univ. de la Reunion, CNRS, Saint Denis de la Reunion (France). Inst. de l'Atmosphere de la Reunion (OPAR)
- Inst. Maurice-Lamontagne, Mont-Joli, Quebec (Canada)
- Univ. of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (South Africa). Geography, Archeology and Environmental Science
- North-West Univ., Potchefstroom (South Africa). Climatology Research Group, Unit for Environmental Sciences and Management
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0012-8252; R&D Project: 2016-BNL-EE630EECA-Budg; KP1701000
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Earth-Science Reviews
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 140; Journal Issue: C; Journal ID: ISSN 0012-8252
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES; Sun-photometer measurements; Aerosol optical thickness; Polar aerosol optical characteristics; Lidar backscattering coefficient profiles; Satellite aerosol remote sensing; Multimodal aerosol extinction models
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.